Car rental from Sunny Cars Curaçao: all the information at a glance!
Curaçao is an island, where many Dutch tourists go every year because of the wonderful climate you have all year round on this island. Most tourists also like to see a bit more of the island and then a rental car is quite nice during your vacation. If you are going to rent a car in Curaçao then there are a number of things you should pay attention to and we list them in this blog.
Table of contents
Rent a car from Sunny Cars Curacao
Rent a car Curaçao: what to look out for?
If you are going to rent a car in Curaçao, it is important that you pay attention to a number of things. You want everything to be well taken care of and to avoid unpleasant surprises during your vacation. That’s why we list below some of the things to look out for when renting a car in Curaçao:
- How is the fuel regulation: if you are going to rent a car in Curaçao, it is useful to take a look at exactly what the fuel regulation is of the company renting the car. You have many differences in this, and we don’t like some of the arrangements. For example, you have arrangements that you have to return the car with the fuel level it is currently at.
This can mean that you will be given a car with almost an empty tank and at the end of your vacation in Curaçao you will also have to try to return the car that way. We always prefer the full = full rule. You get a full tank and return it full again.
- How many kilometers can you drive the car?: it may be that car rental companies have a regulation, which allows you to drive only a maximum number of miles per day. Of course, that can be annoying if you want to do a lot of driving with your rental car in Curaçao. Now the good thing is that Curaçao is not that big and you generally don’t drive that many miles a day.
- What insurances are included: when you rent a car in Curaçao, you want it to be well insured. We never cut back on that ourselves. You shouldn’t think about not being properly insured and having an accident. You never forgive yourself and you can end up with considerable financial costs. This does tend to be the big difference in price between one company renting cars in Curaçao and another.
- How is the deductible regulated: sometimes then you have rental cars that don’t cost that much per day, but where you have a huge deductible of sometimes more than 1000 euros. Then you are still at considerable financial risk if you drive damage with your rental car during your Curaçao vacation. Sometimes an offer seems very attractive, but because of little rules it is not.
- How big is the rental car rental car: When you rent a car in Curaçao, it should be big enough for your family and all your belongings. Of course, you often only need to transport your bags to and from the airport, so weigh how big your car needs to be. Usually, rental cars online also list how many people (and suitcases) the car can accommodate.
Rent a car Curacao: Useful tips!
In addition to the things to look out for when renting a car in Curaçao, we also have some tips that come in handy when renting a car in Curaçao. We list these tips below.
- Do not rent a navigation. Often when you rent a car in Curaçao, you pay extra money for such things as a high chair, navigation or that a second person is allowed to ride in the car. To save on this, we ourselves always use the app maps.me during our travels. You can download this app for free at home and then you download the map of Curaçao and use blue dots to mark all the important sights and addresses on this map.
Then, once you are on the island of Curaçao for your vacation, you can use the app without internet and you can easily get navigated anywhere. So this means we do not need navigation for our rental car and thus save money.
- Cover yourself. Even though we are always well insured when we rent a car abroad, we still take some pictures and videos of our rental car before we drive away from the car rental company. This way you have proof that there was already certain damage on the car and avoid unnecessary discussions afterwards.
- Do an online search beforehand. Make sure you rent your car for Curaçao in advance and not on the spot on vacation. At home, you generally have the time to go through all the points at your leisure, whereas on your vacation it is a lot harder to get an overview. Besides, you want to enjoy your vacation in Curaçao and not have to deal with things like that on the spot.
- Don’t miss out on a rental car. Make sure you rent a car on time. Currently there is a shortage of rental cars in many tourist areas and then you may just find yourself unable to rent a car. This happened to us ourselves in the Seychelles, so we had to do everything by the much more expensive cab. You can often still cancel free of charge, which means you don’t run any risk if you rent a car in Curaçao early.
- Don’t just pick on the first price you see. It is very appealing to always just go for the cheapest option when choosing a rental car. Yet when renting a car abroad, there is so much difference in such things as how far you are insured, that the cheapest car ends up not being the cheapest car at all. Therefore, when renting a car in Curaçao, look at the overall picture and then make a choice.
- Familiarize yourself in advance with the traffic rules: the traffic rules in Curaçao are slightly different from those in the Netherlands or Belgium. For example, it is not always common for traffic from the right to have the right of way. Therefore, check the website of the ANWB in advance for an overview of the various rules that apply on the island of Curaçao.
Rent a car from Sunny Cars Curacao
Sights of Curacao
You have several sights to see on Curaçao. We list the main attractions on Curaçao below.
- Beaches: most tourists visit Curaçao because of its beautiful beaches. You have some beautiful beaches such as Klein Curaçao, Cas Abao, Grote Knip, Playa Lagun and Daaibooibaai. Keep in mind that it is very convenient to have a rental car if you want to visit these different beaches on Curaçao.
- Willemstad: This is the capital of Curaçao and it is definitely fun to visit this city. You have lots of nice stores, cafes, as well as plenty of beautiful historic buildings in Willemstad. In addition, it is fun to take pictures at the famous letters of Curaçao and the famous colored houses of the city!
- Christoffel Mountain: for tourists who love action, climbing this 372-meter-high mountain is a fun option. From the mountain you have a beautiful view of the island. By the way, it is also possible to visit Christoffel Park with your rental car in Curaçao. You will drive on hilly roads and enjoy the beautiful nature and scenic views along the way.
- Animal spotting: you can spot several beautiful animals on Curaçao, such as the flamingo. For example, this can be done on the road to Bullenbaai and the road to Sint Willibrordus. Always fun to stop and take a picture of these animals. You can also spot turtles just fine on Curaçao. A good place to encounter these beautiful animals is on Klein Curaçao, for example. You also have several farms with ostriches on the island.
- Hato Caves: these are caves where slaves used to hide and where you can still find all kinds of cave drawings from this time.
Public transportation Curaçao or a rental car from Sunny Cars Curaçao?
You have public transportation on the island of Curaçao, but it is very limited and hardly used by tourists on the island. You have large buses that take care of the longer routes on the island and the smaller buses that take care of the shorter routes.
One advantage of public transportation in Curaçao is that it is inexpensive. One disadvantage of public transportation in Curaçao is that it can take a very long time. For example, the small vans stop everywhere people want to go, so it can take a very long time to get to your destination.
With a rental car from Sunny Cars Curaçao, you obviously have a lot more freedom on the island and we always like that. Especially with our daughter! That’s why we don’t mind spending a little more for a rental car, so we have nice freedom to go wherever we want. On Curaçao, it is possible to rent a car through Sunny Cars Curaçao.
Benefits of a car from Sunny Cars Curaçao
We are fans of Sunny Cars rental cars and we would like to share below what we think are the major advantages of renting a car through Sunny Cars Curaçao.
- Sunny Cars Curaçao insurance policies. As we mentioned earlier in this blog, we like to be properly insured when we rent a car abroad. With Sunny Cars Curaçao, the most important insurances are included in the package they offer. As a result, we don’t have to worry about being underinsured when we rent a car. That always gives us a very nice feeling.
- In case of damage, they refund the deductible. The deductible can be quite high with some rental cars from some rental companies in Curaçao, leaving you to pay quite a bit of money yourself in case of damage. With Sunny Cars Curaçao, you are insured for your deductible and get this amount (if you have damage) back from Sunny Cars. So you have no worries about this either.
- Cancel shortly beforehand. You can cancel the car reservation shortly in advance if for some reason you cannot go to Curaçao after all. Especially in these troubled times, we do like the thought that we can always get rid of our reservation.
In short, we find it very pleasant that a lot of things are well taken care of by Sunny Cars Curaçao, so we do not have to worry about this and so we can especially enjoy our vacation! Surely that is the most important thing when booking a vacation to Curaçao!
Rent a car from Sunny Cars Curacao
What is all inn at Sunny Cars Curaçao?
Sunny Cars Curaçao works with an all inn formula, but what is the all inn formula of Sunny Cars Curaçao. We list the most important things about this formula.
- Own risk. As we mentioned earlier in this blog, in case of damage at Sunny Cars Curaçao you get your excess back.
- Damage to tires- glass-bottom and roof. With many rental companies, you are not insured for this, even though you can quickly damage these parts of the car. These are covered at Sunny Cars Curaçao.
- Mileage. With a rental car from Sunny Cars Curaçao, these are unlimited. So you don’t have to pay attention to this during your vacation in Curaçao.
- Insurance of damage to the car: with the all inn formula, Sunny Cars Curacao also advises not to take out additional damage insurance, as the car is well insured against damage. This also means you won’t encounter any surprises on the spot. In the past, we sometimes had to purchase additional insurance from other companies because the car did not appear to be properly insured.
- Theft insurance: if the car is stolen, the car is insured.
- Third-party insurance: Sunny Cars Curaçao has taken out an extra insurance policy for this, as a result of which the car is insured for ten million WA (in the Netherlands this is standard five million euros).
- Refueling arrangement: refueling arrangement is full=full. Our favorite! You get a rental car with full tank from Sunny Cars Curaçao and at the end of your vacation in Curaçao you make sure you fill up the car completely and then return it.
- Towing costs: suppose the car cannot continue driving during your vacation in Curaçao, the car may have to be towed away. Sunny Cars Curaçao will then reimburse these costs.
- Car key and/or papers: if you lose your papers or the key to the car on Curaçao, Sunny Cars Curaçao will reimburse you for the costs.
- Local tax: these, like any airport delivery charges, are always already included in the price.
- Breakdown assistance: if you break down while on the road in Curaçao, Sunny Cars Curaçao will cover the cost of this assistance. Sunny Cars has a 24/7 emergency number, but initially you can call the local rental company for help.
- Flexservice: so as we mentioned earlier, you can cancel your reservation one hour in advance. Super nice of course.
Because of this all inn formula of Sunny Cars, we always rent a car from Sunny Cars with peace of mind. For car rental options on Curaçao, take a look at the Sunny Cars Curaçao website.
Where can I book a car from Sunny Cars Curaçao?
There are several options at Sunny Cars Curaçao where you can rent a car on the island. For most tourists, this will be at the airport, but it is also possible to rent a car in Willemstad from Sunny Cars Curaçao.
Where to stay on Curaçao?
You can spend a great night on Curaçao. Curaçao has plenty of nice accommodations where you can stay and also in different price ranges. We have listed the best rated hotels from many reviews. Press the blue link for more information about the hotel.
Budget hotel: Trupial Hotel & Casino
Mid-range hotel: BOHO Bohemian Boutique Hotel
Luxury hotel: Papagayo Beach Hotel